At their annual planning retreat in early 2008, the MAP Board of Directors identified Wind Energy as an emerging issue of critical importance, and set about developing a policy that would guide the work of the organization and provide community planners with direction in their local planning efforts. To that end, the Government Relations Committee, a board committee charged with researching and crafting policy alternatives for board consideration, studied wind energy over the next 18 months. Together the government relations committee and MAP board engaged experts at meetings, studied what other states were doing, considered what would work best in Michigan, and explored alternative policy directions.
In January 2009, the MAP Board of Directors adopted a wind energy policy. In addition, government relations committee members compiled an extensive list of resources which are listed below. This page was developed so that these resources could be easily accessible to community planners embarking now on wind energy initiatives, or who are simply interested in the topic.
Model Ordinances and Resources by Community:
- Examples of Community Zoning & Regulatory Provisions
- Clean, Renewable and Efficient Energy Act of 2008
- University of Michigan Department of Aerospace, Oceanic and Space Sciences
- City of Ann Arbor Energy Office
- Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association
- Michigan State Energy Office
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Michigan Wind Working Group
- MSU Extension brochure "Michigan Land Use Guidelines for Siting Wind Turbines"
- Michigan Tall Structures Act, PA 259 of 1959
- Annual Report on Wind Power Installation, Cost and Performance Trends: 2006. Wiser, Ryan and Mark Boliinger. U.S. DOE.
- Michigan Siting Guidelines for Energy Systems
- Proceedings of the Wind Energy and Birds/Bats Workshop: Understanding and Resolving Bird and Bat Impacts. Washington, DC. May 18-19, 2004. Prepared by RESOLVE, Inc., Washington, D.C., Susan Savitt Schwartz, ed. September 2004.
- Wind Turbine Development: Location of Manufacturing Jobs. Sterzenger, George and Matt Svrcek. Renewable Energy Policy Project. 2004.
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) report "Wind Energy: Model Ordinance Options" is part of the NYSERDA "Wind Energy Toolkit"
This page last updated on 8/6/2009.