Annual Career Building Event and Reception!
Postponed til January 2018 | Lansing
Red Cedar Meeting House
3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Registration Fee: $15 | Registration at the door: $20
Stay tuned for Registration Information
Register now for an Emerging Planning Professionals Doubleheader:
Walk & Learn and Career Building Reception
An afternoon of hands-on learning about Lansing’s bustling Old Town district, followed by an evening of networking and light hors d’oeuvres. Students and emerging professionals are invited to these two events, which are specially designed to advance their careers.
3-5 pm – Old Town Walk and Learn (1.5 AICP CM credits)
5-8 pm – Career Building Reception
8 pm on – Afterglow at a nearby pub
Emerging Planning Professionals are students, entry-level-to-mid-level planners, those in non-traditional fields without decades of experience, or individuals embarking on encore careers. Whether equipped with a brand new planning degree, shifting focus in their career, or tackling your first professional planning position, EPP’s offer ambition, passion and potential, and often have questions about how to get to where they want to go. The Michigan Association of Planning wants to provide member services, opportunities and products to help them.
Emerging planning professionals are the future leaders of our profession, and in our communities; they offer unique and fresh perspectives; and have somewhat different needs than our more experienced professional members. Because we value their involvement and membership, we have created a new program initiative with benefits customized to meet their distinct professional and personal needs.
MAP has launched an initiative for a new generation of planners who are finding their way in the profession. As the Michigan Chapter, APA continues to strategically connect with various member cohorts, we look to the future of planning in Michigan, and to planners not yet firmly planted in their career paths, or in transition from one phase to another.
Take advantage of the graduated membership dues structure: $30 for EPP membership (for up to three years following graduation); and eventually to $60 individual MAP membership.
Those who would find the most benefit from this new membership category include:
- Recent planning school graduates
- Entry-level planning professionals
- Encore Career or mid-career transitioners
Some of the services and benefits offered to Emerging Planning Professionals include:
- Graduated membership dues structure
- Opportunities to network and learn with seasoned professionals at the Career Building Reception, held annually in November.
- Special recognition at MAP events integrating you into the MAP network of planners.
- Articles and features in the Michigan Planner magazine and in the E-dition
- Leadership opportunities in an EPP committee comprised of your peers working to to identify specialized services to meet EPP's unique professional development needs.
An active group of emerging planning professionals meets monthly via a conference call to plan activities and support MAP's events. The committee operates under the following goals:
EPP is a voice for new professionals (Our Advocacy Role)
- Participate in the Student MAP Conference
- Link back to Student Planning Organizations
- Advocate for AICP accreditation
- Work to retain recently graduated planners in Michigan
EPP is able to bridge needs between recent graduates and professionals (Our Professional Development Role)
- Provide assistance to recent graduates
- Provide opportunities to get recognition and take a leadership role
- Provide education and skills-building to fill the gaps in knowledge
- Develop relationships within the profession
Interested in joining? Contact committee chair Caitlyn McGoldrick or MAP staff Wendy Rampson.
This page last updated on 11/15/2017.